Sunday, May 16, 2010

PPP Tips of the Week - Part IV


PPP is BACK!

What is PPP?

I won’t attempt to relay to you ALL of the ebbs and flows of my "health routine" these past 2 months, but to paraphrase I will quote my new favorite running song by Aly & AJ,

"like a roller-coaster ride, up and down and side to side...like whoa!"

Perhaps your healthy endeavors have been somewhat the same way?

Well I say, HAVE NO FEAR - PPP IS HERE! Time to get motivated and get moving!

I'll start off this week's tips by sharing the ones that you sent for the book giveaway and I'll contribute my two-cents as well:

Tip #1 - Your favorite nutritious recipe (snack or meal):


For Breakfast: Greek Yogurt Parfait (from Jillian Michaels book)

All you need is a half a cup of Greek Yogurt, bran or whole wheat cereal of your choice, favorite berries (strawberries, blueberries), several orange slices and a drizzle (about a Tbsp) of honey over the top. YUM!

For Lunch: Turkey Hummus Wrap

Spread hummus (instead of mayo, Miracle Whip or mustard) on a whole wheat tortilla – top with avacado, romaine lettuce or spinach, tomato, lean turkey meat, and a little of your favorite cheese (I like provolone). Delicious, nutritious and filling!

For Dinner: Anything Salad

Start with a base of romaine lettuce, Spring Mix (arugula & several other leafy greens), and spinach. From there is where the fun begins – Add any of your favorite vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds or legumes to blend with your salad. I usually add cherry tomatoes, black beans, pea pods, sliced carrots, sunflower seeds, and a little bit of crumbled Feta cheese. For dressing - Find a vinaigrette that you enjoy or a lite dressing. To avoid using TOO MUCH dressing, build your salad in a bowl or Tupperware that has a lid so you can shake it after pouring on 1 serving of dressing and have it evenly distributed and coating (not dripping from) each healthy, crunchy bite.


Leon said – “To be honest, steamed broccoli has got to be my favorite. Take some broccoli, and steam it. Maybe put a little pepper or (if you can afford the calories) cheese :)”

Travis said – “My favorite recipe is the salad bar at Jason's deli.”

Jessica said – “I LOVE to eat Salmon. Absolutely fabulous :) (thank you, Costco!) And do you realize how good it is for you? Yeah... like I said: FABULOUS! And I usually have it with either asparagus, broccoli, or green beans which have been cooked in a frying pan with just a bit of olive oil and sea salt. Oh. And rice. Brown is good. Or the new grain my family discovered called Quinoa. I think it may be my new favorite.

If it's snack time, I'll take dried berries and unsalted almonds. Very sustaining. You get sweet, tart, crunchy, chewy and protein at once! Not to mention that I just love almonds.”

Emilee said – “Nothing to fancy but I love my bowl of oatmeal in the morning with fresh blueberries, yum!”

Catherine said – “I love avocados. They are a great source of fiber, antioxidants, and potassium. I love having them just plain, adding them to a salad, or mashing them up into guacamole for chips or substituting for condiments on burgers...yum!”

Audrie said – “Well, I love a lot of things. But probably one of my favorites is this:

Fresh Fruit Smoothie

2 8-oz cartons of Non-Fat Vanilla Yogurt (I actually use any kind of yogurt)

2 Ripe Small Bananas

1 Cup Sliced Fresh Strawberries (You can do frozen, too)

1 Cup Fresh Mixed Berries (i.e. raspberries, blueberries, and/or blackberries ((whatever you like)) or unsweetened frozen mixed berries)

5-6 Whole or Crushed Ice Cubes

Mix in a blender until smooth.

Makes 4 servings.

Also, to go along with that, I just get a bowl of granola (sorry, I don't have the recipe... I can find it for you if you want!) and milk or mix it with the smoothie.

A delicious and nutritious breakfast!”

Tip #2 – Your favorite way to exercise and why:


Recently I’ve been tearing it up in classes taught by my local Recreation Center. I’ve become addicted to the cycling, step and cardio toning classes! I find that when I can’t muster up the strength to run myself around a track or get on an elliptical, if I just get myself to the gym I can then rely on the teacher. They always get me pushing myself in no time.


Leon said – “Swimming. It's kind of like tithing in a way because everyone gets a proportional workout no matter how in shape they are. Plus, I have webbed toes, so I feel like I just belong in water.”

Travis said – “The best way to exercise is with a partner, they help keep you motivated and honest.”

Jessica said – “DANCING! That's how I grew up. It's not even exercise in my mind. Or basically anything with friends. Or whatever I happen to be in the mood for that day (bike, swim, run, elliptical, etc. NO to the treadmill and only minimal street running).”

Emilee said – “I love running but recently I bought Jillian Michael's No more trouble zones exercise DVD and it is awesome!”

Catherine said – “I love going to the Fieldhouse on campus (free student memberships are great things to take advantage of!) and doing some cardio...usually running or elliptical...for at least 30 minutes every week day. Being surrounded by other people working out motivates me to do better and work harder than I would if I was alone.”

Audrie said – “In the summer I join a Swimming Team and do that. But each day I usually do yoga and strength stretches and exercises. I do that every day and then switch off from either biking or running. It helps me with strength, flexibility, and core.”

Tip #3 – Your motivation to get fit and stay healthy:


Health = Happiness. I have never been so miserable as I am when I sit around like a couch potato, eating junk and watching TV all day. The next thing I know my pants are a bit too tight and I feel like junk – “you are what you eat” was never truer. Ah, but when I’m consistently exercising and eating healthy my body is the first to notice. Getting out of the house (especially in this beautiful weather) and staying busy with a fun and active lifestyle is what life is all about! Eat to live, don't live to eat. I never want my ability to enjoy life to be limited by poor health…and so, it never will. It’s as simple as a choice!


Leon said – “Skinny jeans and, like you said in the post, it just feels good! I used to get sick all the time, but when I take care of myself by staying healthy, I feel about 1.3 million times better and rarely (if ever) get sick.”

Travis said – “I'm not getting any younger.”

Jessica said – “I just like to feel good! (and look good) and I don't want to ever have to give up activities I love because of health issues related to weight gain. And when it comes to eating... fresh foods just taste so much better and are so much better for you! I mean, c'mon, does anyone plan on living off ramen for their whole lives like they did in school? Yeah...that was never and will never be me. I like to cook :)”

Emilee said – “My motivation is my family. I want my kids to learn how to be healthy by staying active and eating nutritious food.”

Catherine said – “I think it is important to take care of and cultivate the gifts your Father in Heaven has given you, especially your body. It is an amazing machine that houses your spirit and without great physical health, your spiritual, mental and emotional health do suffer.”

Audrie said – “This is actually kind of neat…I had decided to…create a fitness program and start a healthful diet. That VERY day, I looked onto your blog and you had started the Pinky Promise Project! I don't know, that just hit me. I appreciate you helping me with that. Well, my mom has also started with that too, and she helps me get motivated.”


HOORAY for Sharing The Health! Thank you all ever so much! :)


Keep sharing your wonderful tips, favorite exercises and recipes and your inspiring stories!

If you've dropped the ball, don't be ashamed and don't let it keep you from picking it up and starting again! It's never too late. Let's motivate each other and get moving!

Now, turn off the computer and LIVE yo' life, HEY! ay-ay, ay-ay, ay-ay (great song)!

P.S. Is this pink text buggin' your eyes?

2 comments:

Chess said...

I love the pink text! It's very you! But if you're looking to switch up, turquoise is also fun. I like your health challenges. I need to get in shape this summer (due to a little stress/emotional weight gain this last semester), so I will definitely be coming back here for a little motivation.

PS. Thanks so much for your nice comment on my blog. I've started to love the idea of being a wife and a mom, because then I could do all the things I love to do, with others, and maybe I wouldn't need a career at all. :-)

Also, I had no idea that you and Jason only knew each other through blogging. He speaks so highly of you, I was sure you two knew each other in person. Well, I'm just thrilled and delighted to make a new friend in the blogosphere! Meet your newest follower! :-)

tscotriverside said...

one of the things that has made a huge difference for me over the past couple of weeks is giving up carbonation. let's be honest, i won't be able to do it forever but by eliminating it now, I will consume it in moderation in the future. i feel better and have more energy.