Thank you for your patience this past week. Due to the ultra healthiness of this post and the not-so healthiness of myself lately, I thought it would be hypocritical to post this any sooner.
One of my wisdom tooth extraction sights has become infected (thumbs down, Charlie Brown), so, in leu of this event, I've found it hard to stop eating popsicles and start exercising.
However, I am now on an antibiotic and I am starting this PINKY PROMISE PROJECT officially today . . . in fact, right now.
. . .
What is the PINKY PROMISE PROJECT?
A unity of bloggers devoted to eating right, exercising, sharing tips, stories, recipes, exercises and living a more happy and healthy lifestyle.
. . .
If you're like me, you need some motivation when it comes to nutrition and fitness. Here are some tips to help you and I on our way to physically fit bliss. Let the journey begin:
· Love Yourself – Fitness and nutrition are not the end-all to personal insecurities. Get fit because you love yourself, not because you want to look like a movie star.
· Partner – The easiest way to motivate yourself to exercise and eat right is to have a partner in crime. Find someone that shares your goals and lean on each other for support when needed. Go to the gym together, make healthy meals together, and encourage one another along the way.
· Portions – You don't have to stop eating the food that you love, just eat less of it.
o Try using a smaller dinner plate. This will enable you to fill your plate and not over-fill yourself.
· Savor – When eating, don't forget to taste your food
o If it helps, put down your fork after each bite and allow yourself to enjoy it.
o Try eating with a baby spoon/fork to encourage smaller bites and less “shoveling”.
§ I use this tip for cake, ice cream and yogurt regularly. It works.
· Avoid Snackage – Allow yourself one small snack between lunch and dinner.
o I’m going to sound like your dentist, but try brushing your teeth or rinsing with mouthwash after every meal. With the minty aftertaste in your mouth, you’ll be less likely to snack.
o Chew sugar-free gum while cooking to avoid picking at your ingredients.
o Choose healthy and filling snacks
§ Dairy (calcium & protein) – string cheese or yogurt, not ice cream.
§ Fruit/vegetables (vitamins & fiber)
· Drink Water – 2 liters or 8 cups per day
o It is important to replace the output of fluids your body relies so heavily on.
· Every system in your body depends on water. To make sure they are all working in tip-top shape to help you get into tip-top shape, you should constantly hydrate your body, especially while exercising.
o Drink a tall glass of water an hour before each meal to reduce overeating.
o Avoid drinking soft drinks and juices. These contain empty calories. Save your calorie intake for food that will fill you up.
· Use Your Feet – It is important to exercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes or 6 times a week for 15 minutes (or more).
o Aerobic/Cardio Exercise
§ Get your heart rate up and sweat to burn maximum calories.
· Jump rope
· Play Dance Dance Revolution
· Attend a fitness class (aerobics, kick boxing, Zumba, etc.)
· Play a sport
§ The options are limitless, find something you enjoy or do a mix.
o Strength Training
§ Building muscle replaces fat
o Flexibility Exercises
§ Stretch your muscles before and after you exercise is important to avoid injury and/or post-exercise stiffness (yoga, Pilates, etc.)
· Keep Moving – You don’t have to wait till you get to the gym to burn calories.
o Use the stairs instead of the elevator. Park a little bit farther away and walk. Chase your kids around.
o A pedometer is a great way to evaluate how much you really exercise each day.
§ My personal goal is 10,000 steps per day. If I’m only at 8,546 at the end of the day, I have a dance party in my room before I go to bed to get in the rest of my steps.
. . .
I hope these tips help you as much as they are helping me. If you're feeling overwhelmed, pick one and start from there, but don't just give up on yourself if it seems "too hard". It will be hard, but so worth it!
PINKY PROMISE yourself that you'll do it
and I PINKY PROMISE you won't regret it!
Get your PINKY PROMISE button here
Let's Start Moving!
x o x o
P.S. Please share your ideas, successes, motivations, healthy recipes and sweet exercises.