Saturday, August 1, 2009

The One and Only

...San Diego, ladies and gents!

I took nearly 1,000 pictures and narrowed it down to 65ish of my favorites.
Hopefully you will leave this post with a resolve to savor every delicious morsel of life

Day 1
Rental car, pretty no? Well, it's no Mini Cooper, but it'll do I s'pose ;)

The hotel and I got along swimmingly. There was modern artsy decor and furniture everywhere.
Ok, so I'm not a seafood person, but Anthony's was pretty dang delicious if I do say so myself.
I don't profess to be a connoisseur of clam chowder like some people, but in my opinion this stuff was so-o-o good! I wish I would've got it for my actual meal in a sour dough bread bowl, rather than in a little sharing-friendly cup...

Day 2
Walked along the pretty harbor with Madre. We made this a daily routine going to and from our various destinations, not to mention 7am runs with Dad.



See what I mean? Modern art, all o'er dee place



We were going to attend The LDS San Diego Temple, but when we called the number the recording told us it was closed for semi-annual cleaning. Sad day! So we drove there anyway, just to see it. Dad told me to take a picture through the fence. PSH! Through the fence? No no, I don't do "through". So, despite the signs (which seemed to be more guidelines than rules) we walked on into the grounds and snapped some beautiful shots of the breathtaking temple.



To put your mind at ease, the ground crew really didn't seem to mind us being there. If they had asked, I would've told them my "I'm from Utah and I love this temple and I'm a photo-takin maniac" sob story and I'm sure they would've been fine with it anyway.
Then, we went to La Jolla (pronounced "La Hoya"...yeah, that's not what I thought either) Cove. Can't go on a vacation without a signature picture of a cute squirrel. Awww, wook at his witto feet?


Would it surprise you, seeing this awesome tree, to hear that Dr. Seuss lived in La Jolla for a major part of his life? Inspiration me thinks.
Oh yes, and the semi-usual t-ribute to seagulls

Yeah, didn't see that coming...



Day 3
The Historic Heart of San Diego
aka window shoppin' it up with Madre
And eating at Fred's Mexican Cafe cause that's where everyone else was going
Fish tacos...salivation...savoration...elation
And let's not forget a scoop of limone gelato at Chocolat
Yum! I heart Italy!
More Modern Art and a jumping picture, of course

Dad called this window "Lindsay's perch". The view of San Diego Harbor (where I saw the dolphin), the Coronado Bridge, and the hotel pool was awesome! Not a bad place to read either.
What's a business trip without a friendly visit to one of Dad's relatives? This is cousin Margaret and John. They're cute!

Day 4
This one was a favorite. It reminded me of my drawing days of crosshatching. I heart art!

Segway tours! Madre was a bit (understatement) envious.
You gotta love this giant sculpture next to The USS Midway, WWII Aircraft Carrier
Headin' over to Coronado Island

I nicknamed these beauties "Tangle Trees" for obvious reasons. All I have to say is, I feel for the Coronado Electric Company


The Hotel Del Coronado, famous for hosting several presidents and celebrities. I wish Madre and I could've enjoyed it more, but this is the day that we nearly walked our feet clean off...so we weren't feeling the site-seeing spirit by the time we got there.
This is the hotel lobby. The best part about this place was the butleresque man in a schnazzy suit who offered us lemonade upon entering. How did he know we were 99.9% parched? Thank you Jeeves!
Behold, Plumeria! My favorite flower on the face of the (tropical parts of the) planet! They were high in a tree so I reached my camera up ther and took this. "Look mom, no eyes"

Back in San Diego, walking (yep, more of that) back to our hotel. This WWII memorial also resides beside The Midway.
Cinderella's carriage, don't tempt me with a good time ;)
Voile! Fox Sports Grill's infamous Banana Bread Pudding! That really hit the spot!
After driving around places like Balboa Park and San Diego Zoo, we stopped at Mission Valley Corner Bakery Cafe. I love their designer, whoever they are.
I got myself the Turkey Club Panini. Oh my cravingness, I believe I've formed a recent attachment to panini...must be Italian or something. Yum!
One view from "Lindsay's Perch"

Day 5
After Dad was finally done with all of his business meetings, Madre and I deemed it fitting to do a "boy activity." So we toured The USS Midway, which, like I said, is a giant aircraft carrier from World War II. Learning about history, any history, but especially war history, is always tenderly and patriotically fascinating to me.
Dad was giddy as a school lad on that thing. They played "Anchors Away" at one point and immediately he began to lead the imaginary brass band with an extra spring in his step...no one was looking mind you.


This was a particularly touching sculpture by The USS Midway Museum. I love reunions! I can't even imagine how refreshingly beautiful this kind of a reunion would be.
If you know me, you have no need to ask why I took this picture.
I love palm trees, I wish they weren't strictly a tropical plant


And the young college student and her vibrant parents flew home with a new-found appreciation for seafood, tropical plants, ocean breezes, the brave men of WWII, modern art, durable walking shoes, Dr. Seuss, and Life

and they lived happily ever after...

4 comments:

Hayley said...

looks like you had an amazing time! you got some FABULOUS photos!!

Jessica Leigh said...

Beautiful and wonderful and fascinating - as usual :) I love going anywhere with a story, so thanks for sharing some of the stories you found! (i.e. Dr. Seuss living in La Jolla with that awesome tree!)

Jalene said...

Beautiful pictures Linds!

Items of business:
1. remember when I fell off of a Segway? haha.
2. I also sneaked onto the San Diego temple grounds... although I had to slide through a pile of ants and under a gate. Yours looked much more accessible.
3. I can totally hear you saying "wook at his witto feet" haha

That is all.

LoriT said...

Holy Moley. All I gotta say is that if I were you, I'd NEVER, EVER, EVER leave the nest. :)

What wonderful memories you get to make with madre and padre. And kudos to you for capturing it all so that you can relive each delightful, delicious moment again and again.

Thanks for letting me, the "underprivileged" eldest child in my family, live vicariously through you. If you're ever too busy to accompany your parents on these fun jaunts of theirs, just have them call me. I'd be happy to help keep them company. ;)