Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rulon's Chair

Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting my great-aunt Jo with Dad and Madre. We've made it a tradition to do so each Summer when we go to Cedar City. Her modest home sits nestled in the hills above the St. George Temple. I've always enjoyed these visits and hearing stories of Uncle Fred, Rulon, Dan, Huck, Aunt Helen Ruth, Dorothy and of course, my Grandma.
{Top: Fred - Bottom: Rulon, Huck, Julia Fern (my grandma)}
{Top: Dorothy, Fred, Julia Fern (my grandma), Huck - Bottom: Dan, Grandpa Elijah, Grandma Julia, and Rulon}

Dad rang the doorbell and moments later we were greeted by a petite elderly woman dressed in a housecoat and a smile that indicated she was happy to have company. We entered her small home with the lingering smell of cigarette smoke and were greeted by one of Aunt Jo's "indoor cats". She sweetly asked us to have a seat, which we did on her sofa, dusted with cat hair. Sunlight shone softly through the picture window as Aunt Jo sat comfortably in her usual pink chair next to a vacant black leather recliner:
Rulon's chair.
{Madre, Aunt Jo, and Dad}

Dad asked, "How are you Aunt Jo?" She spoke of her daily routine, her cats, her love for reading, and the pains of old age. Then, a smile danced across her face and her eyes twinkled youthfully as she recounted memories of Rulon, her late husband. She spoke of Uncle Rulon's handsome tenor voice. Dad said, "I wish I could've heard him sing," and in a rush of excitement Aunt Jo got up from her chair and walked to the cassette player. Soon, with some help from Dad, the sound of a harmonious quartet flooded the room. Uncle Rulon and a group of missionaries, from his LDS mission days, serenaded our conversation for the next moments. Aunt Jo sat, transfixed by their sound, pointing to the speakers when Uncle Rulon sang a particularly high note in the chorus; all while watching our faces for looks of appreciation.
{Top: Huck, Dan, Rulon - Bottom: Grandpa Elijah, Fred}

Then the quartet started "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen." Aunt Jo's eyes welled up with tears and she pointed to the stereo once again, hushing any conversation, eager for us to hear the voice of her gifted husband singing an angelic solo. I watched as Aunt Jo beamed with complete adoration at the stereo. Her expression told of loving memories, no doubt flickering through her mind, as she listened intently. The song ended and Aunt Jo sat back comfortably in her chair with a look of glowing satisfaction. She removed her glasses and wiped her eyes tenderly. What a beautiful scene. That really is love!
{Aunt Jo}


2 comments:

Cori and Colin said...

Hey Lindsay!! This is Cori!! I absolutely love your blog and photography!! I love your posts with all of the old pics! Hope you're doing well!

LoriT said...

One of my favorite blog posts of ALL time ... from any of the many blogs that I stalk.

You have a gift, my dear cousin.