Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Italiano

As many of you know, I am thoroughly and hopelessly obsessed with Italy. Along with that obsession comes one item from my list of "Things To Do Before I Die" - Learn Italian. In my attempts to accomplish (or at least start) my goal, I've been reading this and this, side by side. It's been very interesting thus far and I've learned a lot of scriptorial terms like "avvenne" which means "it came to pass". I just know that'll come in handy ;)
Along with that, I found this website called Fluenz, and have been doing this Italian sample session over and over. I now feel quite comfortable ordering a glass of water (un bicchiare di acqua) at a restaurant. Wahoo! Ok, so it's not a lot, but it's progress and I'm doing molto bene (very well) if I do say so myself!


4 comments:

Whitney said...

cool! I wish I could learn italian!

Amberly said...

I would just like to say thanks for that website!! I've totally tried to learn Italian, and I know very little, but I can say morto (dead) and farfalla (butterfly).....yeah...not getting me anywhere!!! I'm going to start using that everyday!!!

Sarah Hatch said...

Hey Lindsay! I've got an Italian textbook that I'm never going to use. (I had signed up for an Italian class but it was at 7:00 am and I just wasn't sufficiently motivated) I still thought I could teach myself something so I kept the textbook but I've not even cracked it open. I'd love to give it to you! Do you want it? It's the least I could do after all of those referrals you've given to me for photography!

queensister said...

Lindsay, This is how you say you are a member of the church in Italiano: Sono una membra della chieza dei Gesu Christo degli Santi degli ultimi giorni. I can say that really well, but that is about all I remember from my study abroad days. I hope cousin Doug doesn't read this--I may have been saying it wrong all these years. Viva Italia! Cousin Melanie