Friday, February 25, 2011

Heartstrings of the Week: If I Played Guitar

I'd play these:

1st - Stanley Myers' "Cavatina"

This is my favorite classical guitar solo. I don't know how many classical guitar songs there are out there, but of the ones I've heard this one is my favorite :)
Isn't it pretty? It sounds like a lullaby or a good option for a modern dance number. Somebody tell me, is he playing this whole thing? I really can't tell. It sounds like two guitars to me, but no matter how much I watch his fingers I still can't figure out what he's doing...


2nd - Mason Williams' "Classical Gas"


Weird name? Yeah, sure. BUT, I have loved this song for YEARS. It's on my parent's Hit Songs of the 60's & 70's album and I've been listening to it since I was at least 11. In fact, my friends and I used it as soundtrack music for several of our childhood L.A.M.P. (Lindsay, Amy & Morgan Productions) videos. Good times!


3rd - Michael J. Fox's version of Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode"


First of all, if you haven't seen "Back to the Future" you are officially missing out on life and should remedy this immediately! ;) When I was little, this was my favorite scene of the whole move. Well, this and the skateboard chase scene. And the one in the diner where George says, "You're my density...I mean, my destiny." Let's face it, the whole movie is a classic! This video isn't the greatest quality, but you get the idea! :) Enjoy!



4th - Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"


One of my all time favorite songs...minus the depressing verse about mama's murderous rampage. I sang this in choir as a performance with some of my friends in high school. It was AWESOME! Warning: this is one of the strangest music videos in existence. I had no idea how truly unusual Queen was.
Gotta love their music though, eh?

(For guitar solos, forward to 2:41 AND 4:10)

5th - August Rush's "Dueling Guitars".


Also an awesome movie! I can't watch this movie without crying. BAH! I love music...and I would not mind playing guitar with Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Pssst, apart from being molto attractivo, he's got an Irish accent! ;) But seriously, there are so many ways to play the guitar, it's like a magical instrument of awesomeness!



6th - Rodrigo y Gabriela's "Diablo Rojo"


My brother Steve has a great taste in music. He showed us some clips of this group after FHE one night. Basically every song they play is this amazing!


Go ahead and watch, you'll see what I mean:




So.
Who wants to teach me guitar?


1 comment:

lovinlife said...

Nice choice of songs! I'd be glad to teach you as much as I know... meaning the basic chords and how to learn other chords, strum and pick patterns, tuning in the basic EADGBE way, un poco about alternate tunings and using a capo, and bar chords, etc.

I wonder if John still has his nylon string guitar. In my opinion, it's easier to learn on a nylon string because they're bigger strings and spaced further apart.

On your first clip... as far as I can tell it's only him playing the guitar. I think the use of harmonics (what the cute little boy is using at the very first of your August Rush clip) AND the low quality recording made it sound like there are two guys.

I really like the Rodrigo and Gabriela song!!!! I'm going to look into getting a cd of them.