Monday, February 21, 2011

Beware the Dessert Cart (not a PPP post)

Confession:

I'd MUCH rather have one GREAT option and one HORRIBLE option to choose from than a lot of good little options to decipher between.

Does that make sense?

I'm much better at seeing the difference between black and white than I am at seeing the difference between grey and charcoal and light grey and the color of concrete, etc.

See what I'm saying?

It's like, someone brings out a dessert tray with a piece of raspberry cheesecake, a hot fudge sundae brownie, a piece of funfetti cake, and some sort of decadent pie that you also happen to be in love with.

Do you base this decision off of what you're in the mood for? Biggest piece? Calories? What?

They're all equally as delicious (to me anyway)



And how long beforehand do you make this decision? Like did you go to this particular restaurant JUST for their desserts? Did you just glance at the menu as you were seated? Or did you think to yourself, "I'm so used to being SO full that I rarely even consider dessert"?

That's me. Family, school (namely graduation), calling, internship, work, personal goals (fitness & spiritual). Full! Like, I can't even remember the last time I considered getting "dessert". I've always just been too full...

So, now this feast of 18 years is about to come to an end and suddenly there's the dessert cart looming in the distance...full of so many great options and I'm thinking, "AGGGGHHHH!" cause I'm pretty sure that this is one of the hardest decisions that's ever come to the table.

No, contrary to my strange choice of examples, this isn't about food. It's about my life! Like, the determining factor of where I'll be and who I'll meet and what I'll learn, etc.

Unfortunately this isn't just one of those Girls Nights Out where I usually pawn off my lack-of-decision-making-capabilities on someone who is more opinionated when questions comes up like: "Who wants to drive?" "Where should we eat?" "What should we watch?"

Nope, this is me.
Just me.
Lindsay time.
Me, myself and I.

You can call me melodramatic or crazy or worrisome or whatever (though doing so wouldn't help me out much, because frankly, I already know these things), but my goodness, I'd like to FINALLY have a response besides,

"ErrmmmIdunno..." to the perpetual question,

"What are your plans after you graduate?"

*sigh*

Who knew freedom would be so much work? C'mon, I know that a lot of you have been in this same place recently, if not currently. Any personal stories or post-graduation-tips-for-dummies are welcome.

...annnnd scene.



2 comments:

LoriT said...

"Oh, the places you'll go."

Congrats that your hard work has earned you this enticing smorgasbord of fabulous options.

I guess that my only piece of advice would be to not shy away from your dreams thinking that they are too big or not "practical."

I know you'll succeed at WHATEVER you choose.

Love you and am so proud of you!

p.s. Is moving to TX on your list of options??? Because we'd love to have you! :)

Kati said...

"When you come to the edge of all the light you have, and must take a step into the darkness of the unknown, believe that one of two things will happen. Either there will be something solid for you to stand on- or you will be taught how to fly." -Patrick Overton

There is so much in store for you. I am excited to see you soar!

The best thing and most scary thing about finishing school is stepping into that unknown. But know that "All things shall give thee experience and be for thy good" even if it is hard and turns out to be only a temporary path or a rough road. You will learn so much from that choice you made and every step you took. Trust yourself enough to know you will be guided, taught and loved....no...matter...what!!!