Wednesday, February 17, 2010

PPP Tips of the Week - Part III


Share The Health:

There were a few tips from our Pinky Promise Partners this week:

· Jessica Leigh says


o Always have a water bottle with you! You'd be surprised how the "munchies" will disappear!"


o "Find a way to move that YOU enjoy -- you don't have to do what everyone else is doing. Unlike Linds, I am NOT a running fan and hate treadmills... but I could dance for hours on end, bike, use an elliptical and go swimming all day."

o "Make it a part of your schedule. As a teacher, I am VERY worn out by the end of the day. The first few months I always felt tired and didn't want to put forth the energy to go to the gym. I started to take my gym clothes to work, change there, and go on the way home -- then if I felt "too tired" I'd think "but I'm already in my gym clothes, so I might as well." I found that doing so was a great way for me to unwind at the end of the day and I actually had MORE energy. Now I have my evenings scheduled and I just plan on certain nights being my gym nights... it works wonderfully!"


Thanks, Jessica! Keep your helpful tips coming, everyone! We could all use a little nudge.


. . .


Pinky Promise Tips of the Day:

· Make Goals

o Weight Loss – Make a realistic and healthy goal to work toward


§ I used to take my measurements every time I would weigh-in (every other week). It’s rewarding to see not only the weight decrease, but the sizes as well.


§ Start by taking a picture of yourself, as you are now, and continue to take one on a regular basis. You’ll start to notice little changes that will keep you motivated to keep going.

o Diet-ish – Limit your intake of sugar and fat.


§ Note the use of the word “limit.” It is a personal preference, but in my opinion, it is unhealthy to fully remove any specific food group from your diet altogether.


· Try low-fat (or non-fat), low-sodium food items and avoid the regular consumption of “high fructose corn syrup” and “trans fats.”


· Read the “Nutrition Facts.”

o It’s good to actually know what you’re putting into your body and how much (serving sizes).


o You can even find most restaurants’ Nutrition Facts online.

· Give yourself one “high calorie” day per week.

o This doesn’t mean binge on fat and sugar for a day, but allow yourself to enjoy a treat here and there.


o Make the calories count. Why snack on a bag of chocolate chips when you can have a delectable cookie for the same amount of calories? See my point?


· Substitute

o Craving a peanut butter cookie?


§ Try peanut butter with apples or celery


o Craving ice cream?


§ Try low-fat (non-fat) frozen yogurt or a frozen banana


o The possibilities are endless. This is where your healthy recipe recommendations come in.


§ i.e. Banana Bread (using applesauce instead of oil)


· Watch “The Biggest Loser” on NBC

o I don’t mean this to be a commercial, but this show is truly motivating (when it’s not a melodrama) and there are great tips that can easily be applied to your own healthy lifestyle.


§ Note – Not airing during the Olympics (lame).

. . .


That is all for this week, friends. Keep sharing your wonderfully helpful tips, exercises, recipes, and inspiring stories! Keep motivating each other! You're doing awesome.


Good Luck.

Keep moving!

x o x o



No comments: