Yes, it's your lucky day. You get a recipe for breakfast AND another one for lunch! You're all set, cause if you go here you kind find another one for dinner :) I recommend the fajitas. MAN, I'm hungry.
Ok, so...this recipe is SO good and is perfect for those of you who are vegetarians. For those of you who aren't, you won't even miss your meat, this recipe is SO hearty and mouth-watering. YUM! Enjoy!
Black Bean Burgers with Cilantro-Lime Mayo
(from the kitchen of Cookin' Canuck)
- 4 pieces day-old or toasted whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 2 tbsp olive or canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp minced jalapeno pepper, membranes and seeds removed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp fresh limejuice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole-wheat buns
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese (I used Swiss, it was delicious)
- 4 large slices tomato
- 12 slices avocado
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse sandwich bread to form breadcrumbs. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft. Add garlic, jalapeno, and cumin. Saute for additional 2 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into the food processor. Add black beans, brown rice, limejuice, salt, and pepper. Pulse until the beans are chopped, but not pureed. Scrape the black bean mixture into a large bowl. Add half of the breadcrumbs and the chopped cilantro. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties. If the mixture is too moist to form patties, add more breadcrumbs. Place the patties on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap and cover with additional plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet (preferably not nonstick, so a good crust can form) set over medium heat. Add the burgers and cook for 4 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, limejuice, cumin, cilantro, and pepper. Stir well.
- Lightly toast the whole-wheat buns. Spread 2 tablespoons cilantro-lime mayo on each bun, and top each with a black bean patty, 2 tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese, 1 slice tomato, and 3 slices avocado. Serve.
first image via