Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Because Pilates is the BEST!

(No need to answer these questions, they are purely rhetorical)

Do you have back problems?

Do you have love handles?

Do you want tighter abs?

Do you have good balance?

Are you flexible?

How's your posture?

My answer to you is one word: Pilates.


I am bias, but Pilates, in my opinion, is the purest form of full body exercise.

Many of the techniques used in Pilates are also used in Physical Therapy.

I've struggled with back issues (aka scoliosis) since junior high.

FYI, scoliosis is an abnormal lateral curvature of the spine and,
as some of you may be able to attest, it's not enjoyable.

On top of that, I (before college) was not athletic...like, at all.
I had never played a sport, danced, ran, swam, nothing.

Well, circumstances being what they were in college,
I needed some "easy" elective classes...so I turned to fitness.

Tennis. Spinning. Pilates. Marathon Training.

Hallelujah! An athlete was born!

I can talk about my other classes later, but right now,
I'm here to preach Pilates...and preach I will.


(The class I took is called "Pilates Reformers" where they use awesome equipment like this)


First week: my back aches and pains were GONE!

No, the curvature in my back has not been reversed,
but the muscles around my spine were strengthened and thus
were able to help support my spine.

Now, Pilates is a MUST for me. I will never not do Pilates.

First of all, my back would hate me, but secondly, it just makes
life's everyday activities that much more enjoyable.

I sit in a chair for 8 hours a day.
Without Pilates, my back pains have turned into a throbbing
headache by the end of the day...which, I might add, is healed by...PILATES!

Anyway, it's my "go to" for any physical ailment.
If I took Ibuprofen for every headache or backache I had,
I would not have a liver left ;)

So, hopefully you can get a glimpse of my passion for it...
But ya know, as Levar Burton says on Reading Rainbow,
"You don't have to take my word for it."

Here's a really good Beginners Pilates video I found.

Go ahead...
You know you want to.


You're welcome!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I never thought of doing pilates but now you've got me thinking I should give it a try...